Search This Blog

Friday, October 4, 2013

More is not always better...



So, I have spent a better part of the week pulling decades ? old silicone off from around the windows.    Removing it was tedious work, there was a lot of it. My fingers are a mess, I did not follow directions and wear gloves, it was too hard to get the stuff smooth with them on.   The black stains should wear off...eventually.  I am trying a marine based non silicone product called 3M 4000 UV fast cure adhesive sealant.  I went the "less is more" route so we'll see if that improves the situation any. I guess I can find out when it's cured. The hubs also tore out some wall board and the ceiling material on one side just to see what's under there.  It looks alright, nothing scarey.  I think he also has gotten a better idea of what wire goes where so he can do some electrical work while it's off also.
-Day 4ish- The caulking has cured, we tested it with the hose and NO (major) LEAKS!  Yay!  I am so excited.  There was only one small drip that was easily fixed in about a minute.  FYI- the product I used is fantastic.  So easy to work with, goes on easy and is smoothed down nice and flat with a finger dipped in water.  I know that on the reviews people suggested that it should have come with a cap so you didn't have to use it all at once.  I stuffed a nail in the hole and wrapped it in tape.  It was good to go the next day.  Check out the pics and video where ummm, like I use that ummm word way to much ummm, like yeah. 
We are also starting to prep for painting.  Dave was stuffed under the dash so he could reach the nuts on the back of the bolts holding on the handles on the front and he got so stuck!  I took a video instead of helping right away and it would have been hilarious except I didn't hit the record button...dummy.  Anyway, I posted the video I took of him extracting himself from the situation.  You've got to keep a sense of humor in a project like this.

Not sure why this uploaded sideways...anyway this is the hubs "acting natural".

globbed on silicone...

What a mess!

What we found.




The windshield is a mess.  It really needs to be replaced, at least the passenger's side and the gaskets.  It is just not in the budget at all at this point.  So I am playing Macgyver and using some rubber hose and the 3M stuff to fill all the gaps from shrinkage.  The stone bruise in the glass should be repairable by a glass company for now.  I have my little carved rubber pieces in place with sealant and tape until it cures.  I will then clean it up and blend it with a razor knife and more sealant.  A little goes a long way with this stuff which helps keep it nice and neat looking.
This is the windshield....you could practically drive a bus through this gap!


No comments:

Post a Comment