Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Prep and Sanding

Dave and I have spent the last 2 weekends prepping Rosie for paint.  Anyone who has done this realizes what a labor intensive project this is.  I have personally sanded 27 feet of RV 3 times.  While I was killing myself sanding Dave took off everything that would come off and carefully masked and taped everything else.  He is an excellent mask and taper by the way.  I realize that I could have, probably should have sanded more but that last go around with 320 was all my sanity could handle.  I did my best to make the poor fiberglass repairs less noticeable and am sure someone with OCD and more experience could have done a better job.  The roof is what it is, it doesn't leak and you can't see it from the ground anyway.  That said we were able to get the http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28  Evercoat Slick Sand sprayed on yesterday.  It took a bit to get the spray right and we reduced it by about 10% with acetone to get it to flow out of the 1.8mm tip.  Once we got going it went pretty smoothly.  At one point the wind picked up but not for long so we were good.  This stuff is thick and dries fast so you need to work as fast as possible.  If I were to do this again I would have cleaned the gun out halfway through.  That being said it took a bit to get the gun completely cleaned out when we were done. Persistence prevailed and it will be good to go with the primer next weekend.  Because I have a hard time waiting I did a little "test" sanding on the grill piece that was painted first and dry enough by the time we finished with the rest of the RV.  This Slick Sand is amazing!  It fills in all sort of pinholes, scratches etc...and sands so easily.  In minutes I had the piece smooth as can be with 320 grit.  I think I may go over the whole thing with 320 and then follow up with 400 if it goes as easy as the small piece.  In an earlier post I said we were going to use Sherwin Williams paint but we went with Eastwood instead.  They were super "do-it-yourself" friendly and the tech support was great! 

65 degrees, no bugs and only a small wind issue.

All suited up in the appropriate safety gear. The camera battery died so I will update with pics of her primed next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment